Monday, December 5, 2011

Update 1 on Baby Rhodes

We had our last appointment on Friday, December 2nd, and I had to do the GD test. The test is to determine if the mother has Gestational Diabetes. Anyone can have GD, and its something that only happens and lasts during pregnancy. To test for this, the doctor gave me an "orange drink" that was pure sugar. I had to wait an hour after drinking the drink and the nurse took 3 vials of blood. For anyone who knows me, they know that I don't eat sweets or anything sugary, so this "pure sugar" drink made me sick as a dog, to say the least. My body obviously doesn't like sugar.

Also at this appointment, I received my Rhogam shot, which was the shot I described in my last baby blog entitled "Bradley Rhodes Richardson".  For a quick reminder, I have a rare, negative blood type, and I must be given this shot so my blood doesn't take over Rhodes' little system. I don't like shots, I never have, and probably never will. They don't hurt me, but I just am terrified of them. Well, this shot gave me every reason I will ever need to not like them. Like I said, shots don't hurt me. Well, holy cow, this one HURT. Thank goodness it is over, and hopefully this round will work, so I don't have to have another one at Rhodes' birth. I will have to have them with each pregnancy, but as long as they work the first time, I will only have to have one per pregnancy. Repeat, this BETTER work!

They also measured Rhodes' growth and heartbeat, which were perfect! Thank goodness I have nothing more to add to this paragraph!

This morning, the nurse called with the GD results, and I passed with a 73. Failing the test would have resulted in a 130 or above, so I passed with flying colors as the nurse said. I also asked her about when the next ultrasound would be. Todd and I haven't seen Rhodes since week 20 and we are dying to see our little bundle of joy again. Sadly, she told me that since our pregnancy is going so well and we have no complications, that we wouldn't be recieving anymore ultrasounds. The thought of not being able to see Rhodes until he is born saddens me, although, I cant complain that he is brewing so well! She did tell me that we can have a 4D ultrasound for $150, but that would just be for fun. No more ultrasounds are medically necessary, therefore, they wouldn't be covered my insurance. Can I wait another 11 weeks to see him without going crazy? I guess we will find out!

We have our next appointment in four weeks, on Wednesday, January 4th. Nothing exciting will be taking place on this appointment. We go in, they measure my belly, listen to Rhodes' heartbeat, and then out the door we go. Again, I don't like this, but I cant complain because the easier and shorter the appointment, than the better our little baby is doing. After January 4th, we will begin our bi-weekly appointments, which can only mean that he will be coming into the world soon! I thought that after this past appointment would begin the bi-weekly, but apparently I was wrong.

Continue praying that he keeps growing so well and that the pregnancy keeps chugging along without any complications. Countdown= 11 weeks!

On a side note, last night Rhodes had the hiccups! It was the strangest feeling I have ever experienced, but I loved it! I could feel, what I guess, was his head bouncing off the inside of my belly. This occurred every 3 seconds on the dot for about 30 minutes! I was a little scared at first because I wasn't sure what it was, but after asking the nurse today, she confirmed my thought! How funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment