Wednesday, November 23, 2011

With This Ring, I Thee Wed

Struggling between a small, intimate ceremony, or a blow out of a wedding, ultimately we had to do what was best for our growing family- small and simple, kind of like us! Between family and friends scattered about, it was becoming too difficult to attempt to set a date in a small amount of time for all to attend. Our guest list kept growing, and schedules kept filling, and stress was taking over for everyone involved. Eventually, we realized that a big wedding was not what we wanted or needed at this time in our lives. We were already a family, and a big wedding wasn't going to change that. We were ready to be husband and wife and the constant delay of dates were overwhelming and ultimately made no sense for us. Once the engagement came, our patience of planning a wedding ceased, and our desire for this next step magnified.

I began the final plan for a wedding on Wednesday, November 9th, and immediately saw God working. There was a specific photographer I wanted, and she was available Sunday, November 20th. I was also given the name of a pastor and called him up, leaving a voicemail. He called me back no more than an hour later, and was willing to marry us. His only stipulation was that he was only available Sunday, November 20th. Wow! That worked out perfectly.

For anyone who knows Todd and I, we are both outdoor people and love lakes. I have always dreamt of an outdoor wedding, by a lake, with an old barn. I had basically given up on a barn, but figured any lake would work for our small ceremony. I had looked around, but not made plans. It just so happened that the pastor's church owned 36 acres of land with a lake, and offered it to us for no cost. This was all falling into place too easy! God is good, and he wasn't finished yet!

I had previously gone dress shopping a couple of times, and had found a gorgeous strapless ball gown, with a train, in my price range that I feel in love with. This dress was MY dress. I was so excited about it and it was the very first dress I tried on. I had given up on my dress at one point because I thought that we had changed plans too many times and waited so long, that the dress wouldn't be available. I went into the bridal store on Friday, November 12th hoping and praying for a miracle that my dress would be available, not to mention in my size and ready to wear in a week! They had one size left in a dress, and it was my size, and they were able to steam it and have it ready for me in time! Once again, there was God! He was as determined to get this wedding right in such a short time as I was!

The wedding weekend came, and we kept it simple. No rehearsal or dinner, no reception, no florist to deal with, and no decorations needed for a lake! My mom, two cousins, and I, sat in a hotel room Saturday night hand making my bouquet from stemmed flowers we bought at Whole Foods, and repairing my "something old" that was missing a few pearls. Everything got finished and ready for the morning.

Morning came and after fixing my own hair and doing my own makeup, we arrived at our wedding site. The photographer had beat us there, and had walked around the land looking for photo op locations. Once again, God showed up. There was a red barn that sat on the lake! I was going to get my barn after all! Now, I knew that this day would be perfect, and everything would be the sweet, country, outdoor wedding, I have always wanted. And even better, I had the most amazing man to share it with. I wasn't nervous at all, and was more than ready to say my vows to Todd in front of my family, his family, and most of all, God- who made this day possible.

Our wedding was short and sweet. Todd thought I looked beautiful and I thought he looked so handsome, and the whole day turned out to be everything I wanted it to be. I cant express how much I love him, but I can say that being able to begin this next step is the greatest prize that either of us could ever receive.




We are sad that we weren't able to share this day with everyone in our lives, but you all were there in our thoughts, and we cant wait to be able to celebrate with everyone at a later time. Be looking for a wedding announcement and a Save-The-Date for an upcoming Reception, hopefully beginning of Summer 2012!  -Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment